Lying on the northern ridge that descends from Monte d’Alma, at an altitude of 250 metres, Scarlino overlooks the municipal territory that stretches from the Tyrrhenian coast, which occupies a large part of the Gulf of Follonica with its 9 kilometres of coastline, to the plain of the Pecora valley and the wide green hilly areas of Mediterranean scrub, as far as the territories of Gavorrano, Massa Marittima and Castiglione della Pescaia. Surrounded by greenery, the historic centre of Scarlino has remote origins and retains the charm of a medieval village.
The municipal territory is completed by the hamlets of Scarlino Scalo, the most densely populated centre in the municipality with a wealth of services and lively commercial and craft activities, and Puntone, a strategic seaside resort undergoing major development.
The origins of Scarlino date back to ancient times, to the beginning of the Bronze Age: the Etruscans and Romans lived in the area. In 973 Scarlino appears for the first time in a document as a “curtis” belonging to the Aldobrandeschi family. Scarlino was then under the control of the Counts Alberti di Mangona and the Republic of Pisa. Scarlino remained under the control of Pisa until 1389, when the Appiani family gave rise to the seigniory of Piombino, which in turn went through various phases unscathed, until the Napoleonic hurricane and the Congress of Vienna, when it came under the Grand Dukes of Tuscany.
In 1834 Scarlino was united with the municipality of Gavorrano and since 1960 it is again an independent municipality. The 9-kilometre coastline of Scarlino offers sea lovers all kinds of entertainment and possibilities. The sandy north-western part is also a convenient destination for families with small children.
To the south, the Costiere di Scarlino Protected Area of Local Interest includes rocky coves of rare beauty, such as Cala Martina and Cala Violina, one of the most beautiful sandy bays in Italy. The Bandite di Scarlino is a vast forest complex. Mostly made of Mediterranean scrubland, it overlooks the Gulf of Follonica and extends into the surrounding hills, with more than 50 foot and cycle paths.
Just 16 nautical miles from the Island of Elba and a short distance from the medieval town, the Marina di Scarlino is the ideal starting point for holidays in the Tuscan archipelago, and is now one of the most modern and efficient recreational boating facilities on the Tyrrhenian coast.